As an educator and active contributor within the division of Campus Life, the Area Coordinator works closely with colleagues in Residential Life and other offices to deliver an intentional co-curricular living-learning environment in the undergraduate residences that is aligned with Brown's Liberal Learning Goals for its Open Curriculum and autonomous, self-directed, and critically-conscious students. The Area Coordinator will accomplish these outcomes by contributing to a dynamic and engaged professional and student staff team whose practice is innovative, centers social justice, and partners actively with students and colleagues. Area Coordinators achieve these goals through fostering the growth and development of their residents, responding to community concerns, addressing policy violations, supervising paraprofessional student staff, and supporting administrative and operational functions for the Office of Residential Life. Area Coordinators will also conduct hearings in the non-academic student conduct process and participate in the University's after-hours on call system and to respond to student emergencies. Reporting to a Director in Residential Life, the Area Coordinator will supervise a student staff team and work collaboratively with a team of professional colleagues to serve a region for ~1⁄3 of the residential campus. Night and weekend work is required. This is a 12-month, live-in position (one-bedroom apartment provided), with a meal plan while classes are in session.
Note: this is a fixed term position with an end date of 6/30/2025
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in higher education/student affairs administration including administrative experience in residential, educational or similar organizations required inclusive of a minimum of one year of experience supervising paraprofessional staff and implementing programs (preferably in a university setting) required.
- Experience developing programs and initiatives that are responsive to the needs of a diverse student population including students from historically underrepresented groups.
- Experience with residential programs, student programming, and work in a higher education setting is strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of principles, practices and theories of student learning and development; understanding of the cultural, social and educational needs of students in residential communities.
- Demonstrated success working in a diverse environment with a critical understanding of social justice issues. Demonstrated experience developing systems and structures that center justice and equity.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and efficiently solve problems, using sound judgment, assuming ownership of a problem, and resolving challenges in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Agility and familiarity with latest software, database systems, computer literacy.
- Strong commitment to supporting the University's goal of cultivating a diverse and inclusive community.
COVID Vaccination Requirement: In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Additional Information: Please submit a cover letter when applying for this position. To learn about Brown University's benefits, please visit here for further information.
Recruiting Start Date
Job Posting Title
Residential Area Coordinator
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Seniority levelEntry level
Job functionEducation and Training
Residential Coordinator in Providence, RI
Student Advisor jobs
Education Program Coordinator jobs
Operations Coordinator jobs
Program Coordinator jobs
District Manager jobs
Resident Engineer jobs
Camp Counselor jobs
Security Officer jobs
Senior Communications Manager jobs
Site Supervisor jobs
Design Coordinator jobs
Resources Analyst jobs
Residential Manager jobs
Director Of Security jobs
English Teacher jobs
Resident Director jobs
Director Commercial Operations jobs
Architectural Representative jobs
Residential Counselor jobs
Victim Advocate jobs
Residence Manager jobs
Operations Intern jobs