Estimated pay range
Actual pay may be different — this range is estimated based on Product Development Associate in New York, New York, United States at similar companies.
Base pay range
Are you organized, proactive and ambitious?
Are you passionate about beauty and product development?
If this sounds like you, here’s your perfect job!
The Product Development Associate supports the execution of strategies set by the Director of Product Development – from concept to launch.
Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To
- Competitive analysis to identify global market trends, competitive landscape in both the professional/prestige channel and masstige/selling directly to the consumer (retail)
- Present proposals for creative and innovative ideas, trend/market review presentations and portfolio opportunities
- Partner with VP and Director of Product Development to define new products concepts that answer brand’s needs. Also, work with PD team to develop and execute innovative concepts, textures, technology and ingredients research
- Manage product development requests to finalize concepts, research and select active and story ingredients, and define the products feasibility and development parameters
- Create and present product briefs to manufacturers with completed concept, cost targets, and sales projections
- Communicate daily with all manufacturers on new developments
- Work closely with stylists and consumers on product testing and gathering feedback
- Define testing needs and create content (questionnaires), and manage product testing execution (safety, efficacy, consumer panels, etc...) and timing associated
- Work closely with VP and Director of Product Development to evaluate formula submissions and provide feedback and re-directs to manufacturers
- Ensure new development timelines and quality standards are met
- Ensure that manufacturers are in alignment with project timing and has the most up to date timelines. Manage project priorities to ensure launches are kept on target
- Work closely with Marketing and Operations to ensure products are delivered on a timely basis
- Work closely with purchasing and design team to help develop packaging options in sync with formula/texture
- Work closely with regulatory teams to ensure compliance of product formulas and claims for existing and emerging new markets
- Write and publish Product Knowledge Sheets defining full concept, product features, benefits/claims, and keys ingredients and present it when needed to Marketing, Education & Training teams
- Identify products that need to be reformulated or discontinued and manage reformulation projects
- Support PR team for press questions regarding formula, ingredients and efficacy
- 2+ years experience in Product Development within the Beauty Industry
- Organized with a high attention to detail
- Sense of urgency, resourcefulness, and flexibility
- Team player attitude and able to work with cross-functional teams
- Effective interpersonal skills are a must
- Understanding of new product development processes & stage gate approach
- Exposure to production environment & interaction of packaging, process, manufacturing
- Experience writing technical concept to create new narratives and introduce new ingredients/attributes a plus!
- A current or prior hairstyling license is not required but a plus!
Additional job requirement: This job position requires in-person work as stated above, and therefore as company policy, you must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination will be requested before your first in-person work assignment.
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. (HMS) is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We have created fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our company culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brand teams and Product Development take an idea for a tool or product, and create versions for internal testing (employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio (sensestudio.nyc) creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations team produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture!
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy - and pursuing B-Corp certification!
- Shared core values among staff who are passionate about what they do
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance + product discount (70% off!)
- Paid vacation, sick and holiday time
- Paid volunteering hours
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit, along with your resume.
If you aren’t the person for this job but know who is, send them this job. If we hire them, we’ll give you $2500. Seriously. When we hire people, we ask who they were referred by and we pay this bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this job with a friend who’s perfect for it!
Seniority levelEntry level
Job functionProduct Management and Marketing
IndustriesMarketing Services, Manufacturing, and Retail
Product Development Associate in New York, NY
Market Development Manager jobs
Engineering Analyst jobs
Marketing Associate jobs
Market Research Analyst jobs
Marketing Research Analyst jobs
Senior Development Manager jobs
Brand Partner jobs
Process Control Engineer jobs
Quality Control Engineer jobs
Ecommerce Coordinator jobs
Design Assistant jobs
Inspection Specialist jobs
Associate Developer jobs
Packaging Manager jobs
Product Development Coordinator jobs
Intellectual Property Paralegal jobs
Vice President Retail Marketing jobs
Division Order Analyst jobs