Freelance Senior Level Editor
Freelance Senior Level Editor
New York, NY
FREELANCE SENIOR-LEVEL EDITOR
SOHO Publishing seeks a freelance senior-level editor for Vogue Knitting magazine. The hand-knitting style leader, Vogue Knitting sets the bar, working with the most talented names in knitwear fashion today. It’s the magazine knitters around the world turn to for inspirational patterns, chic styling, and compelling techniques. Renowned knitwear designer Norah Gaughan serves as the Editor in Chief. The magazine is published three times per year.
Overview: The senior-level editor will work closely with the Editor in Chief and others to field and conceptualize ideas, devise cohesive issue lineups, assign and edit articles, and write front-of-book features (plus headlines, decks and captions), long-form articles and fashion and advertorial copy as needed. Other duties include helping the editors develop a stable of go-to top-notch writers and maintaining relationships with experts in the field and working with our social media staff to expand magazine content online via photo galleries, how-to instructions, and more.
· Contribute ideas to the creative team that develops themes for each issue
· Participate in reviewing submissions in the design meeting for each issue
· Review submissions and propose new article ideas in the article meeting for each issue
· New Product page(s) - Source products of interest to knitters. Request and collect images of the products.
· Coordinate and oversee repeated columns featured in every issue:
– Book Review - Work with publishers to find the books to review, have books (digital or physical) sent for review. Get book covers from publishers
– Fashion Trends - Communicate fashion themes to write, approve writer choices. Collect fashion photos from writer.
– Canada column - Assign ideas to writer. Collect photos from writer.
– 10 questions - Propose subject, assign to writer. Collect photos from writer.
– Technique - Determine subject to co-ordinate with the theme of the issue, or one of the patterns in the issue. Find writer for article, co-ordinate any illustrations or photos.
– Yarn Page - Help editor decide theme and execution of yarn page
· Develop feature articles (3-5)
– Gather ideas for articles to co-ordinate with the theme of the issue
– Match writers to topics (with help of the Managing Editor)
– Co-ordinate with author or subject to provide captions for all article images
– Participate in at least one round of proofing the articles
Candidate must possess superior editing, reporting, and writing skills and exhibit a genuine interest in the knitting industry. The job involves some photo research and image sourcing. Prior print-magazine experience a plus.
This is a freelance role. Staff works remotely.
SOHO Publishing is working toward building a diverse workforce and we are passionate about creating an inclusive environment so everyone can thrive. We deeply value diversity and honor the importance of a range of perspectives. SOHO Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, familial status, and other legally protected characteristics. We strongly encourage those of all races, religions, ethnicities, veterans, people with disabilities, and gender non-conforming candidates to apply. We are excited to meet you!
Senior Editor in New York, NY
Group Publisher jobs
Assistant Managing Editor jobs
Travel Editor jobs
Senior Reporter jobs
Senior Audio Engineer jobs
Financial Editor jobs
Editorial Manager jobs
News Editor jobs
Senior Journalist jobs
Research Editor jobs
Senior Communications Specialist jobs
Development Editor jobs
Public Relations Account Manager jobs
Managing Editor jobs
Head Of Content jobs
Director Of Publications jobs
Publishing Editor jobs
Video Manager jobs
Video Editor jobs