The Citizenry partners with thousands of artisans all over the world to bring their storied, time-tested craftsmanship to the modern home. Our goal? Create a new type of home decor shopping experience that delivers inspiring designs - and the stories behind them - with unprecedented standards of quality, transparency, and social responsibility.
We are seeking an Associate Textile Designer who shares our passion for creating home decor using traditional hand-crafted techniques and sustainable materials. The ideal candidate is eager to work within these constraints and problem solve with our team and artisan partners. You must understand The Citizenry's customer, style, and quality and have a keen eye for color and pattern. You are organized, detailed-oriented, and a team player.
As the Associate Textile Designer, you will play a critical role on The Citizenry’s design team, where we are constantly dreaming up new collections from across the globe. You will work directly with the Textile Designer and VP of Design & Development to design new collections - creating sketches, technical specifications, sample comments, and quality control documentation. Throughout the design process, you will collaborate with our artisan partners as well as product development, production, and planning teams. Please note, this role is based in Dallas, Texas. Relocation assistance is provided if needed.
- Work directly with the Textile Designer and VP of Design & Development on all new textile collections including rugs, pillows, throws, bedding, and bath.
- Create designs based on seasonal direction and within artisan capabilities highlighting the best of artistry and craft from around the world.
- Collaborate and problem-solve with the team and artisan partners to ensure the end product is as strong as the original vision. This means getting into the weeds, from understanding materials on warp and weft to researching zippers and trims available in-country.
- Create technical sketches, specifications, and quality control documents that are clear across languages, cultures, and varying literacy levels.
- Review samples with an eye for detail. Deliver comments to artisans in ways that are actionable, kind, and clear.
- Create beautiful and straight forward design presentations (for internal teams and artisan partners).
- Support the Product Development team by assisting in artisan research, attending artisan vetting calls, and conducting competitive research.
- Maintain and organize design resources and libraries (swatch books, visual product boards, samples, supplies).
- Roll up your sleeves and help fill in gaps when needed (after all, we are a startup).
- 2-4 years textile design experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Textile Design, Fibers or related field
- Eye for design. You have an appreciation for home décor and a firm grasp of The Citizenry’s aesthetic.
- Go-getter and problem-solver mindset. You have a get-it-done and no-task-too-small attitude. You see a problem and quickly resolve it.
- All about the details. You pay attention to the little things and can help quality-control samples to make sure everything is in its right place.
- Organized juggler. You take a busy day in stride. You can handle multiple projects and self-manage time.
- Quick learner with a fast-paced working style. Turkish kilims, Japanese shibori - give you 24 hours and you can become an expert on anything.
- You are always thinking, how can we do this better? You are a perfectionist when it comes to product quality and construction.
- Strong sketching abilities, using both hand drawing and Adobe Illustrator
- Strong presentation and communication skills, able to work across global cultures
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Google WorkSpace, and PowerPoint
- Thrives in a tight-knit community of colleagues bound by mutual respect and a shared mission, willingness to work at all levels to support the team or push the business forward
- Passion for the job and The Citizenry’s brand and vision
- Fluency in another language (Spanish, French, Hindi, etc.) is valued but not required
About The Citizenry
The Citizenry is a modern home brand created to inspire people to fill their homes with more meaningful items crafted by the best artisans around the world.
We believe a design can only be as beautiful as the environment in which it’s made, so we demand quality – not just in our designs we create, but also in the lives of the artisans we partner with. We partner with thousands of artisans to craft our exclusive collections, and on average, each is paid wages that are more than two times the fair-trade standard.
The Citizenry was recently named one of Fast Company’s Top 20 Most Innovative Retail Companies and Interbrand’s Top Breakthrough Brands of 2020. Since launching in August 2014, the company has been featured in The New York Times, Financial Times, Vogue, and many other publications.
We chose the name “The Citizenry” to reflect the collective of individuals – artisans, designers, and dreamers – who rally together across cultures and continents to bring our collections to life.
As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and believe our team is better when we have different perspectives, identities, origins, and abilities working together.
We welcome your application and look forward to getting to know you and your story.
Some Benefits & Perks Of Working At The Citizenry
- Three weeks/year flexible vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K matching program up to 4% of base salary
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Access to a beautiful on-site gym for HQ employees
- Inspiring office and retail environment stocked with craft coffee and healthy snacks
- Flexible in-office schedule for HQ employees, planning 2 - 3 days in Dallas office
- Allowances and discounts for really pretty home goods
- Relocation package, if needed
Job functionDesign, Art/Creative, and Information Technology
Inferred from the description for this job
Paid maternity leave
Paid paternity leave
Textile Designer in Dallas, TX
Factory Manager jobs
Graphic Specialist jobs
Creative Lead jobs
Information Architect jobs
Graphic Designer jobs
Design Coordinator jobs
User Experience Manager jobs
Director Leadership Development jobs
Materials Specialist jobs
Design Assistant jobs
Freelance Designer jobs
Furniture Designer jobs
Senior Graphic Designer jobs
Contract Designer jobs
Print Designer jobs
Interior Design Intern jobs
Fashion Specialist jobs